Statutory Residents Panel
Friday 28th of October 2022
The Building Safety Act requires Building Safety Regulator to set up a Statutory Residents' Panel to ensure residents are placed at the heart of the new regulatory regime.
They are seeking applications from current residents of high-rise buildings (HRBs) who would like to be considered for a position on the panel. The panel will be a small group of about 20 people who are a broad mix of HRB residents from different locations and housing types, including social housing, private rent, and leasehold owners. As well as a mix of residents, it will be supported by representatives from relevant organisations.
Role of panel members
- Panel members acting on behalf of residents will:
- Give BSR advice on aspects of its operation based on real-life experience
- Provide input on guidance relating to residents, plus other BSR documents and procedures
- Assist BSR with developing its annual statement on resident engagement
- Be empowered to set up workgroups to undertake in-depth projects
- Provide input on BSR resident research
- Help to test BSR communications material
Members of the panel will not:
- Handle or investigate individual resident complaints
- Advise on matters that sit outside BSR's area of responsibility
Panel members may be invited to take part in wider working groups across government.