Housing Issues Today - and how we got here
The last few years have seen constant change in the direction of housing policy and who knows what the imminent Housing Green Paper will bring? This course gives you what's new, current trends and how issues such as supply, demand, benefits, homelessness and policy. Ideal to give you the context for your role whether you are a volunteer or new staff member.
On this course you will fly through a timeline of significant changes in housing policy, then explore four themes giving you an overview and time to debate the issues in your area with your follow participants.
- Housing supply – where are new homes coming from, what tenure are they?
- Tenancies - what's changed and what are the implications
- Benefits – how do recent changes impact on housing and the ability to pay for it
- Homelessness - the causes, the issues in trying to solve it and the changes to legislation
- The context - key events that have shaped the current housing policy
- Housing supply nationally and locally - there's not just one housing market out there
- Changes to tenancy and what introductory, fixed term, affordable rent and others really mean
- Considering the complex link between rents, earnings, benefits and 'affordability'
- Understanding the statutory definition of homelessness compared to the public view of homelessness and the complexities of the issue
- Considering what the key housing issues are in our own communities
This course is designed for tenants and residents who want to understand the context of the voluntary work they do with their housing provider and in their own communities. It is also for staff new to the world of social housing and wanting a grounding in the current issues and approaches.
By completing this course you will
Have more of a rounded view of where social housing fits in to the wider housing supply debate. Consider how the complexities of housing supply, tenancy types, benefit changes and homelessness make the housing world difficult to understand and navigate.
What people have said
Excellent up to date information, plenty of discussion and answers to questions
This has been a very informative course with a lively level of group participation on all subjects in a very professional and humane way
Need to train
a group of people?
in-house could work out more cost effective
Thu 27th Sep 2018, 10:00am - 4:00pm
., ., Exeter, ., .
|Housing Issues Today - and how we got here|
Name: Tpas Training Team
Phone: 0161 868 3520
Sorry, you can no longer book tickets for this event.